We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Birth is one of the situations that the mothers think about the most. The moment of birth, the way of birth, the happiness of holding your baby in your arms, you will experience both excited and so anxious, you start to wait for the process.
During this expectation, mothers want to have information about their birth by conducting some researches while dreaming to bring their little ones to the world with the method they want.
At this point 'What is epidural? ' is one of the most frequently researched topics. 'Painless childbirthThe epidural is also preferred by many pregnant women.
How is epidural birth? Who is an epidural and how is it applied? What are the benefits and disadvantages?
What is Epidural Anesthesia? What are the types?
Epiduralis a type of anesthesia, also known as local anesthesia. It is an anesthetic and painkiller injection procedure by injection from the back to the spinal cord. It is the most commonly used pain relief method in birth.
The purpose of the epidural is to numb the nerves in the spinal cord and prevent pain transmission. In addition, the patient is conscious because it provides regional numbness, but he does not feel pain or contact.
Two different epidural type include:
Spinal Epidural Anesthesia
It is a kind of anesthesia that creates numbness below the waist and does not feel contact or pain. In general, this anesthesia may be preferred in cesarean deliveries.
Pure Epidural Anesthesia
Other name continuous epidural infusionis a form of anesthesia where touches are felt but pain and pain are not felt. It is the preferred type of anesthesia in normal birth.
When it comes to anesthesia and birthWhat is epidural birth? ' question will be inevitable.
Epidural deliveryis a definition used for births that are performed by anesthetizing the lower waist by applying regional anesthesia.
- Normal birth with epidural
- Caesarean section with epidural delivery can take place in 2 ways.
In caesarean section, the lower back region is fully anesthetized. Painkillers and local anesthetics are used. In normal delivery, a smaller amount of local anesthetic is used in a higher amount of painkillers.
Therefore, in cesarean section, the mother does not feel her legs and pain, but she is conscious, and at normal birth, she does not feel pain, but she may feel contact.
Pregnant women also wondered when the epidural procedure was performed.
- To reduce the feeling of labor in normal births and to facilitate birth,
- In cesarean section, it is performed in order to involve the expectant mother in labor by keeping her conscious.
There are different areas where epidural anesthesia is performed outside normal delivery and cesarean section.
- Knee, hip and foot surgeries
- Waist, neck and inguinal hernia surgeries
- Some gynecological applications
- Pain relief from spinal cord disorders
- Postoperative pain relief
- Local anesthesia instead of general anesthesia
What is Epidural Anesthesia? You can watch our video.
How is Epidural Anesthesia Applied?
Operation, anesthesiologist by the following sequence.
- The patient stops in the side-lying or sitting position.
- Pulling the head up to the chest hunchback is provided.
- The patient should remain hunched immobile.
- The back of the needle is cleaned with the help of antiseptic solution. This reduces the risk of infection.
- After the solution, the patient is dressed in a green sterile gown.
- Local anesthesia is performed with a needle to prevent pain during application.
- An epidural needle is then inserted into the anesthetized area.
- With this needle, a catheter is placed in the region between the outer membrane of the spinal cord and the inner surface of the spine, called the epidural space.
- The catheter is secured.
- After fixation, the needle is slowly removed and analgesic medication is given continuously or at regular intervals.
Entire process About 10-15 minutes It is ongoing.
Epidural anesthesia has several advantages for the patient.
- It carries much less risk than general anesthesia.
- It is faster and easier for the patient to recover with an epidural. Because there is no loss of consciousness.
- It prevents mothers to feel the labor pains and provides an opportunity for mothers to participate actively in labor.
- As the pains are not felt, expectant mothers experience a more fearless and painless birth.
- Caesarean section with epidural women have the chance to witness the birth of their baby.
- It makes you feel less pain after cesarean section.
- It allows the mother to rest during long-term normal births.
- Normal delivery accelerates the course.
- The risk of bleeding and clot formation under general anesthesia is much lower.
- It facilitates the transition from normal birth to cesarean section in emergencies.
- In general anesthesia, anesthetic substances can be passed through the placenta or from the baby to the baby. epidural There is almost no possibility with this.
As with any anesthesia application, there are similar risks for epidural and its types. However, the epidural is more has low risk rates and this makes the process much more popular.
- Sudden drop in blood pressure cause This may lead to a slowing of the heart rate in the baby, albeit unlikely.
- It may cause complaints such as dizziness, pruritus, drop in blood pressure, headache, nausea and back pain in the mother. These side effects are unlikely to occur.
- A temporary weakness may occur in the legs.
- Rarely, it can slow down labor by eliminating the feeling of straining.
- Continuous lying in the same position after the procedure may slow down the course of labor. Therefore, it is necessary to move abundantly.
- Temporary nerve damage may occur during catheter insertion. This is directly related to the success of the anesthesiologist.
- There is a very low risk of infection. This risk is eliminated with the use of appropriate antiseptic solution.
In some special cases, epidural anesthesia may not be appropriate. In particular, the suitability of the patients with chronic diseases should be examined in detail by their doctors and anesthesia should be applied after the necessary controls are performed.
The epidural is not preferred if:
- If the patient is taking blood thinners,
- If the patient has bleeding and clotting problems,
- If there is a decrease in the number of platelets in the blood clotting cells,
- If there is infection in the area where the procedure will be performed,
- If the patient's blood pressure is too low,
- If there is excessive bleeding,
- If high blood pressure does not allow
- If there is a neurological disorder,
- In the presence of tumors that will increase intracranial pressure,
- Epidural procedures should be avoided if there is an allergic condition for epidural anesthesia medications.
Pregnant women should evaluate the benefits and disadvantages of the epidural together and should not be afraid of anesthesia. What is epidural, what is not a good research by both normal birth and caesarean section can benefit from this application, the fear of birth easier to survive by minimizing health.
Everything you need to know about cesarean birth! You can learn our article by clicking on the following link:
Everything you need to know about cesarean birth! All You Need to Know About Cesarean Birth!
You can leave questions as a comment.